An Indie Developer's Rantings

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Multi-Camera Google+ Hangouts


This was an idea I had a while back. Since I have my main computer's webcam in front of me, and my laptop's webcam to the side of me, could I run a 2-camera setup in Google+ Hangouts? The answer was yes, but it took some doing. Now I'm going to share my secrets with you!

Step 1: Setup the Hangout. This is the easy part. In G+, click the Start a Hangout button in the right-hand sidebar.
It's not completely necessary, but on the start screen for hangouts, you can click Hangouts with Extras. I prefer using the Extras version of hangouts myself, because it offers desktop sharing functionality, which allows the people you're hanging out with to view your desktop. I've used this for showing off the current builds of my games, but you can use it for whatever you'd like, be it teaching or sharing video, etc.

Step 2: Once you are in the hangout, copy the URL at the top and email it to yourself.

It'll look something like this. Make sure to copy the whole thing, even the part I've pixelated out. Alternatively, if you are setting up a public hangout, you don't need to copy this at all, and you'll see why in a second.

Step 3a: Open up your email on your other computer and click the Hangout link you sent yourself.
Step 3b: If you are running a public hangout, just go to Google+ on your other computer and click the Hangout link.

Step 4: Before you join the hangout, you will want to check your volume settings. Specifically, you will want to mute EVERYTHING on your secondary machine, both Playback and Recording. If you don't, you will get a MASSIVE amount of feedback between both computers, and your ears will be ringing for days.
And no one wants that!
Besides, you will have your camera and mic active from your main computer, so the last thing you want is echo, feedback, or anything of the sort.

Step 5: Once your sound is muted, go ahead and join the Hangout. Voila, you are now visible from 2 cameras!

Now you may be wondering, what's the point of all this? Well, I've come up with a few possibilities.
  1. You are giving a presentation but don't want to disappear completely. This way, you can run, say, the Power Point on your laptop, click the mouse to continue, and never have to take your eyes off your audience.
  2. Record a video from two different angles
  3. You want to do a Podcast with yourself as your own guest!
  4. Check your hair!
  5. Let those you're hanging out with know, "This is MY HOUSE!"

I'm sure there are more uses that I haven't come up with, but overall this was just a fun little experiment I tried out one day and it worked. I don't think I'll ever Hangout from just one angle ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment