An Indie Developer's Rantings

Friday, May 4, 2012

Game Challenge - An Introduction

I have started a new channel on Youtube called "Don't Start" to hold all the videos for the David Perry Challenge. I have also posted the first video, outlining my goals for the challenge.



As it stands, I will playing games on the following systems:

  • PC: 20 games
  • XBox 360: 20 games
  • PS2: 20 games
  • NES: 10 games
  • SNES: 10 games
  • Gameboy: 10 games
  • HP Touchpad: 10 games
I already have the list of games I want to play set, though I will not be revealing this list beforehand in case of any of it has to change for whatever reason.

Now, the tricky part. I am poor. Quite poor. Sentence fragment. In fact, I straight up can not afford to do this challenge, and I want to do it right. As I work in the game industry, I have not ever nor will I ever pirate games (Abandonware is another matter altogether, and I love Abandonia.com). I am wondering, since this is basically a combination of a thesis and a bit of a creative endeavor with the Youtube channel, if a Kickstarter would be a smart way to go to help me do this challenge right (I would need probably close to $1500, more if I expand the channel to include other kinds of videos). My other alternative would be to source games from the community and my friends, to see if anyone would be willing to let me have some of their old cartridges. However, I do have games in the list that are a download-only affair (like the ones for the Touchpad) so those will still eat into my available funds. Thankfully I have two years to get this all done, so hopefully by that point Children of Liberty will have sold a few more copies (won't you please help a starving indie out?).

I'd like to do some other stuff with this channel too. Podcasts, Let's Plays, News, maybe even bring in some other content creators so I still have time to work on Children of Liberty. Additional content depends on if other people want to contribute videos and if my development time permits me to be doing anything else. If this starts interfering with my development time I will have to put the challenge on hold, but with my current goals I should be able to do it.

Please make sure to Subscribe to the new channel as the first of my 100 games will be up some time next week(ish), and one a week from that point on!

No comments:

Post a Comment