An Indie Developer's Rantings

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thank God I Make Crap (And So Can You)

Today marked the end of 38 Studios and the second end of Big Huge Games, whom 38 Studios bought a couple years ago when they were going under. It's been a tumultuous week for Curt Schilling's company, with the news that they couldn't pay back their $75million loan from the state of Rhode Island, and now every employee getting pink slips. Sometimes business management is so bad it's inexcusable.
Cough
Which brings me to why I'm here. I mean, I'm in the same boat right? I run a company that makes games. Am I going to completely fuck over the hundreds of people I work with too?

The answer is NO and here's why. First, I work with about four people. We're small, close knit, and we're doing this out of love for the game we're making, not out of a desire to enter a market we know nothing about. Second, when we started out, we'd already made games and we found other people who'd made games to help us and determine the creative direction of the project, not just writers and comic book artists (protip). Finally, I'm not that guy. I keep my budgets at small as possible for a reason. I haven't had that many people play my games, Children of Liberty's Kickstarter wasn't anything to brag about, and its current alpha funding isn't doing so hot either (though it's on sale, 50% off for #becauseWeCan week). For this reason I keep my expectations on Earth.

Furthermore, when I started out, I didn't dive into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim. The MMO market is dangerous, and has been since 38 was founded. At any given point, there are about three subscription-based MMO's that make money: World of Warcraft, EVE Online, and a "MMO of the Month" (Age of Conan, Rift, Star Wars: Old Republic, take your pick). I started out with really small games, ones that hardly anyone has played. But you know what? I am fine with that. I am also fine with the fact that I have 4 or 5 gigs worth of unused prototypes. Like I was telling a friend of mine, I consider it my sketchbook. The only way to get good at any kind of artform is to keep making the art. 38 launched one game, which was already in development at Big Huge. Schilling bit off more than he could chew and the taxpayers of Rhode Island are going to have to eat the rest of it.

Don't let this discourage you from going into game development, even if you have no previous experience. Just don't have newbie ambition. If you're starting a company, you don't need to make an MMO. You can be as indie as you want, have a small team, and still make awesome games. The tools are available, even if you're poor. Or, if you're rich and want to get into game development, why not help fund some indie studios that can show you the ropes of development in return?

No comments:

Post a Comment